British Teenager Died After Five Bags of Ecstasy Exploded in Her Stomach
A teenager was found dead in a pool of blood after swallowing five bags of ecstasy tablets, an inquest heard.
Rebecca Brock was discovered in her Ibiza hotel room in September 2015. The 18-year-old had been celebrating two friends’ birthdays on the party island.
Spanish police launched an investigation into the law student’s death after a toxicology report found double the lethal dose of Class A drug MDMA – the chemical name for ecstasy – in her blood stream.
Her mother Margarita Brock believes she may have been forced to swallow the pills.
“She tried cocaine with people she knew and people around her she knew,” she told Nottingham Coroners Court. “She said to her sister afterwards that she didn’t like it so she didn’t have to worry. She was very clear about what she let into her body and what she didn’t.
She added that material had been removed from her daughter’s abdomen.
Ms Brock added: “The medical examiner there said there had been a bag exploded.”
Toxicologist Dr Stephem Morley said “toxicity” was the most likely cause of death.
Nottinghamshire coroner Mairin Casey said there were some important questions about her death that remain unanswered.
“How these bags were in her stomach we will never know,” she said. “On this trip to Ibiza nobody actually saw Becky take drugs at the time – that is my understanding. What is plain is that nobody can give an explanation as to how this came into her system.”
Recording a verdict of death by MDMA intoxication, coroner Casey said it was impossible to say how the drugs had been ingested.
“I find that no other substance was found in her body that could have contributed to her death,” she said.
“I find that she had not taken alcohol other than in a moderate amount. There was no evidence of a form of assault. I find it impossible to say how a pack or packs were ingested. How these bags were in her stomach we will never know.
She added: ‘It is like that Becky became unwell and confused and most probably died a short time thereafter.”